Coronavirus live news: US infections outnumber China as Australia announces quarantine plan
China closes borders; UK records biggest daily rise in deaths; South Africa enters military-patrolled lockdown. Follow the latest updates.
- Coronavirus latest – at a glance
- US now has more cases than any other country
- Spain defends response to coronavirus as global cases exceed 500,000
- Men are much more likely to die from Covid-19. But why?
- See all our coronavirus coverage
Related: China prepares to seal itself off from the world to stem ‘imported’ coronavirus cases
US electric car maker Tesla plans to slash on-site staff at its Nevada battery plant by around 75% due to the coronavirus pandemic, the local county manager said on Thursday.